Skip to content

I BOUGHT IT TODAY - WOW - STUPENDOUS

General discussions on Rickie’s music

I BOUGHT IT TODAY - WOW - STUPENDOUS

Postby hype2010 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:18 am

I'm sitting here relaxing with my Heineken, kicking back listening to the new CD, the pictures and the booklet is wonderful, the images are dreamy, abstract - it's classy and intimate - I just can't say enough - actually I'm on the first track. My Lord, if I only knew the little preview of "Wild Girl" would end up to be so amazing. Rickie is doing her wonderful one of a kind from heaven background vocals that only she can do - this song is beautiful; I have to say at this point I loved her last CD and thought it was so different but incredible and a landmark CD that was so unique - in fact my favorite song on that CD was her song for her child and again on this CD but this new song "Wild Girl" is so what I've been waiting for, if this is for her child - what another glorious track - the lyrics, the melody, the vocals, the horns, the vocals, I LOVE THIS SONG where she does the back up vocals - "you can be greatful" YES YES YES!!! I'm so happy, anyone who loves her songs will LOVE this song. This is my 7X playing yet, this song is worth the CD alone - and I haven't heard anything else at this point. I'm sorry for rambling, maybe it's the beer. This song is heaven. The recording is so clean and tight and the bass is fat. Audiophiles you will like this over your systems. I need to keep going - here I am at "Old Enough" with Ben Harper who I love. This CD is too likeable - there she is. Harmony vocals. This CD is so likable, it's like the most sweet addictive candy. This is a track - another. Lord, have mercy. I'm a musician/songrwiter/producer, I'm going to start writing - inspiration is back!! This song is great - the organ, the groove. Rickie you are scaring me, this CD is SO SO good. The piano on this track is very nice. Now I'm on the third track - I won't go track by track - "Remember Me" - with Alison Kraus who I also love - talking about Mexico. Rickie this IS your return - oh my, all these vocals - this CD is astounding. ANYONE who likes RICKIE will ABSOLUTELY love the first three tracks so much I'm afraid to keep going. How good can this be? "The Moon Is Made Of Gold", a song that Rickies dad used to sing - and she has redone - this CD is what I've been dreaming of - this reaffirms all her powers. This CD at this point is 100% perfect, no exaggeration. As a musician - I'm tough and critical and - the horn and whistling. Her last CD was so experimental which I was floored worked so incredibly but this CD is a return to form from her first three CDs but more masterful, so much it's like I'm hearing Heaven, an angel perfected. I also know I like "Bonfires" from the website. I'm stopping here to enjoy the rest of the CD - I'm on "His Jeweled Floor" - this sounds almost like a mysterious choir, the melody is haunting. Rickie I love you and am so glad you are back and at the highest point of your form. I am humbled as always. This song ("His Jeweled Floor") reminds me of a more vocal track of Peter Gabriel "Passion" CD - I hope you don't mind the comparison. That is one of my favorite CDs - this CD is so incredible. So much beauty and the harmonies. I will listen to the rest, I just wanted to share - anyone who gets this will be ENTIRELY pleased. The recording is pristine and clear, full and fat as well. Real yet superbly produced and recorded. A+++++. : ) God Bless - may this CD bless people and yourself. I bow my head in thanks - beautiful. I'm happy and thrilled. Happy listening people, enjoy to the fullest. Rickie this is SO SO GOOD!!! Amazing - I know my praise sounds over the top............but just listen people yourselves, I believe you will totally agree!!
hype2010

Re: I BOUGHT IT TODAY - WOW - STUPENDOUS

Postby menju56 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm really enjoying the new album which I had already pre-ordered.

I can hear strains of past eras but also some interesting new elements in the music. It has more of a countryish vibe on songs like "Remember Me," which I hadn't really heard from RLJ before. Love the blues influence in "The Blue Ghazel," and that strange choral psychedelia in "His Jeweled Floor." Then you have "The Moon Is Made Of Gold," which is such a great lost jazz standard. I can easily imagine it slotting in on Pop Pop. And "Bonfires" is heartbreaking and beautiful. Certainly it will stand as one of RLJ's most important songs, I think. Simple and heartfelt.

The title is perfect - this music really is a balm. Another great addition to the RLJ catalogue, which grows ever more impressive with each new release.
menju56

Postby hype2010 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Me again with no beers today - after 3 days of consecutive listening I even feel more compelled to say this is a joyous treasure. "The Moon Is Made Of Gold" is gorgeous, I like the Vic Chesnut vocal with Rickie on "The Gospel of Carlos, Norman and Smith", "Bonfires" will surely be classic, and I really like "Bayless St." - again this CD is audiophile quality, the recordings have headroom yet are intimate and clean. I also like the instrumental "The Blue Ghazel" - and I really like the country folk song "Remember Me" with Alison Krauss. You just can't lose with this CD. I will be quiet now - and return after Christmas to see all the wonderful comments by then. This CD is ideal for the holidays as I said in another review I put online, from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day this will be non-stop on my playlist as I play DJ for all my guests. This is a wonderful CD to have some wine, or a few beers, light candles and incense and just sit back and relax to - I dance around alot when I hear "The Moon Is Made Of Gold" and "The Blue Ghazel". This is an absolute winner so any Rickie Lee Jones fan who hasn't gotten this yet, you will be smiling, singing, dancing when you get this one. My closing comment is still that "Wild Girl" is possibly one of her very best, the lyrics are genius - she implies TRYING is "the only game in town" - that gives me a lot more hope in life, because life can be so hard and unrewarding at times. It's a God affirming song, a celebration of her daughter and of life. Rickie brings us a little bit of Heaven in a world that is filled with so much struggle and sadness. Thank you again RLJ - God bless and you should feel EXTREMELY proud of this effort - your last CD was such an achievement and now I think you've topped them all. I also love the booklet and the photos, thank you for just existing period. As I've said elsewhere, anyone thinking of buying this CD buy it with total confidence and with no reservation. You will be listening to it your entire lifetime, it's that great!! See for yourself......then spread the word!!
hype2010

Postby kwalker » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:27 am

Rickie Lee Jones is an amazing lyricist. I saw her in Victoria a few years ago, and the audience was spellbound. She is a true poet and musician and I absolutely love her work. She speaks to many. Go Rickie! You are an amazing musician. I first discovered her music with Chuck E's in Love and have continued to admire her musicianship - Skeletons was a piece of genius.
kwalker

Postby bungalow bill » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:10 am

I purchased a copy of the new album a week ago and I think its fantastic. Pop, jazz, blues, country songs, with great melodies, vocals and meaningfull lyrics. Its not official yet, but this will probably be my favorite cd of 2009. It has a few possible hit singles that standard fm radio might play, so I,m hoping this might be a breakout cd and become a big hit for Rickie. I,ll be listening to this cd for a long time. There isn,t a bad song on this disc. Thanks Rickie.
bungalow bill

Postby menju56 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:17 pm

I think there are definitely some radio-friendly songs here, like "Old Enough" and "Remember Me." It deserves to be a success. It's already an artistic success and a success with the critics, but the record-buying public in general haven't really discovered the great work RLJ has done in the last two decades. It's a shame. But her fan base remains loyal and strong, and the concerts are well-attended. In my book, it's a success whether it's a chart hit or not. But it certainly would be nice for it to do well commercially - it definitely deserves to.
menju56

Return to Board index

Return to Music Talk