Skip to content

Rickie's Adelaide triumph

Share your feelings about a Rickie concert.

Rickie's Adelaide triumph

Postby Mike_C » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Wow.

Rickie performed at the Adelaide Earthstation Festival ( http://www.earthstationfestival.com.au/ ) tonight and it was the most sublime, amazing and yet down to earth (pardon the pun) performance. Bravo.

The show was huge yet intimate ... seemed to last forever yet not long enough.

To set the scene - the festival was a WOMAD event, held outdoors in the valley of a national park in the Adelaide (South Australia) hills. The weather threatened both heat and/or rain throughout the day but both failed to materialise and we were left with almost perfect mid 20 deg C, slightly overcast with a cool breeze. The aussie bush of the park put on a lush green showing with gum trees towering over the site up the valley walls. The festival site about a 1/2 mile in length, a smaller stage at one end, a market area through the centre and the large stage near the main entrance with a colourful display of stalls, tents and flags along the length. While one stage was being used the other was setting up and so it was a 'ping-pong' type affair for the crowd moving back and forth.

Just before 'Rickie time' a 1/2 dozen of us 45+ guys and gals, unashamed smitten Rickie tragics, lined the front of the stage during the sound check and when she flashed that gorgeous smile our way with a cordial "hey there!" I know I for one nearly melted. :D

Rickie took the stage just on dusk to huge applause and a standing ovation and quickly held the few thousand + audience in the palm of her hand. Every song was met with knowing applause and you could palpably feel the joy and adoration of the crowd drifting toward the stage which also seemed to buoy Rickie with each passing song.

The sun set during the performance, the lights strung around the site and the few stars that could be seen sparkled in sympathy with the Duchess on stage. All too soon the last song came around which Rickie dedicated to the group of children running and playing near the stage front just as night took hold - 'The Moon is Made of Gold'. Perfect.

The performance ended with a standing ovation from the crowd and rapturous applause that was so loud the MC couldn't be heard above the din and deafeningly (and appropriately) went on for fully 5 minutes.

The festival had an array of artists/musicians/speakers from around the world during the weekend and while all were amazing Rickie was the undoubted shining light. Rickie's words and music have had a major impact on me personally at certain times through my life, tonight was the perfect celebration of all that has meant to me.

Rickie, while I can't speak for everyone there I feel tonight we were all truly satellites circling your shining light.

Thank you so much.

Mike.

apols for the less than stellar resolution - the spots hit Rickie just as I snapped it with my phone camera - besides being cute this pic said a lot about the night :)
Mike_C

Re: Rickie's Adelaide triumph

Postby Lucyone » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:57 am

I posted somewhere else, but I thought I'd add these pics I took of Long Gully in Belair National Park, where the event was held. I am a Belair resident so was very fortunate to be able to walk home after getting to the park entrance via shuttle bus.

It was the first time I have seen Rickie in about 17 years so I was very excited and one of those tragics taking photos during the sound check. :lol: Mike may even see himself here ;)

Lucyone

Return to Board index

Return to Road Stories