Skip to content

We Belong Together

How were you influenced by a song?

We Belong Together

Postby runningstream » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:12 am

I was at the first Roxy concerts, and have collected everything Rickie has recorded. Caught her in NYC throughout the 80's and back home in L.A. every chance I have had. And after almost 30 years, I have to say that continually the song that always starts playing in my head first when I think of Rickie continues to be "We Belong Together".
She has so many compositions which are gems and brilliant covers, many many brilliant covers, My Funny Valentine, for sure, but, there is always one song that holds that forever space and that is the one.
Thank you Rickie. :
runningstream

Re: We Belong Together

Postby DarkStar » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Nice choice. That would be on my list as well but I can never choose just one... I end up in a tizzy arguing with myself. I would add "The Magazine" and "Flying Cowboys" and "Pirates" and... :)
DarkStar

Re: We Belong Together

Postby menju56 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 pm

This song is just sublime. Absolutely sublime. The lyric is so incredibly vivid and evocative, the mix of spoken and sung delivery was something of a Rickie innovation, and those piano chords are so simple but so stirring and perfect. It really conjures up an image. It's like a city at night. And what can we say about the tonal shifts, the rhythmic shifts, the tempo shifts? And the drums! It's just so imaginative and beautiful and unusual and, frankly, genius. It sounds so effortless but it's pretty complex.

So, yeah, I could write an essay about this song!
menju56

Return to Board index

Return to Songs