Skip to content

The Day I Met Rickie Lee Jones

Non-music related discussions.

The Day I Met Rickie Lee Jones

Postby sir c » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:31 am

It was a cold, damp and gloomy day in New York City. March 1994, I think it was...a grey Sunday.

I'd been in town a few weeks having returned to the city of my birth and youth after two decades of self-imposed exile in Europe. Weekdays spent trying to find my footing in the unfamiliar tempo and weekends spent in my cozy, surreal bed and breakfast in the heart of Harlem. I'd picked up a copy of the Village Voice and noticed an ad announcing that Rickie Lee Jones would be at Tower Records in the Village on Sunday signing copies of her new CD, Traffic From Paradise.

I didn't have the CD, yet. I didn't have anything to play it on, either. I was still travelling and unsettled. But I wanted to go. I wanted to be in the midst of someone whose music had touched and taken hold of some part of my soul for so long.

I found my way to Tower Records and stood in line for what seemed ages as the little figure sitting at a table signed every CD, LP and cassette that was offered up to her. I was only a few years older than she, in my mid 40s, but she looked like a teenager. When my turn came I stepped slowly forward and held out my hand. I had nothing for her to sign and she looked confused but she took my hand.

"Thank you for all the special and wonderful music," I said. "Keep it coming."

I let go of her hand and walked away. I have no use for autographs. I never saw the point of them. She'd given me her music and that was more than enough. It was a cold, damp and gloomy grey Sunday in New York City and for the first time since I arrived it seemed like the sun had finally come out.
sir c

Re: The Day I Met Rickie Lee Jones

Postby menju56 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Wonderful story.

Thank you for posting it. :)
menju56

Postby Angie B » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:08 am

I loved reading this - it really touched me
Angie B

Postby RossCoombes » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Lovely story-gave me a warm shiver on what is also a grey Sunday here. Thank you for sharing.
RossCoombes

Return to Board index

Return to Everything Else